Brahman Breed Improvement Mission:
● Take the Brahman Breed forward into the age of Genomics
● Collect relevant scientific data
● Encourage Performance Recording
● Improve the fertility of the National Herd
● Improve the Brahman Breed through inspection and training of Breeders
● Training of Commercial Producers and Emerging Farmers
WHY IS BREED IMPROVEMENT IMPORTANT
The Breed can only be improved if we know what needs to change
Performance Recording will assist us to find these answers. Not only do we need to know what to change to improve our product, but we need to identify animals carrying the genetics needed to supply a specific product to our various markets.
In order to find these animals, we need to know the genetic merit of each animal. EBVs (Estimated Breeding Values) are expressions of this genetic merit for each trait for an animal.
Submission of WEAN WEIGHTS
● Take WEANING weights from 80 to 300 days (more or less 3 to 9 months)
● Weigh as many animals as possible on one date/day, i.e. don’t weigh them as they are removed from their mothers.
● Don’t estimate the weights; round them to the nearest kilogram.
● If some of the calves are treated differently than the rest, mark the weights of those animals with a management code. Eg. If there is a sick calf as well as a show calf in the group, mark the
weight of the sick calf with an S and the weight of the show calf with a SK. These codes will put the weights in different groups in the analysis, and prevent the calves from being compared
directly with each other or the others in the group.
● If possible, also take the weights of the dams of the calves you weighed.
● Complete the performance information on the required forms (HerdMaster, Excel spreadsheet of Office weigh form) and send electronically (if possible) to the Office.
Weighing lists are available at the office on request. Contact (051) 446 4619 / firstname.lastname@example.org
B-BRAND RULES FROM 2018